If you are a realtor or home and water inspector, you need to know how to choose the right lab to test your client’s well water. This is a very important decision and choosing the right lab can mean the difference between reliability in water testing with accurate results and false or misleading ones. How do you know how to choose the right lab? What are the points you should look for when choosing one?
- Lab quality: When looking at lab quality, be sure to check for updated equipment. What you are looking for should be state-of-the-art, not ten-year-old equipment or something even more outdated than that.
- Reputation: You should take the time to check the lab’s reviews both with the Better Business Bureau and online review sites like Angie’s lists (now combined with Home Advisor) to verify the company is legitimate and trustworthy. Also, check the number of years a company has been in business. In this industry, longevity is a very good indicator of the company’s quality of testing and customer service.
- Turnaround time: What is this lab’s turnaround? Specifically, since most tests take at least 24 hours to complete, you should allow for two days to get back to you. However, some companies take 7 – 10 business days to return results. Look for a company with a turnaround time that suits your needs. If results are needed on a rush basis for a closing, the lab should be able to accommodate you.
- Money-back guarantee: Do ask about a customer satisfaction guarantee. You should make sure the company promises satisfaction guaranteed or your money back. This minimizes your risk.
- Customer service: Last but most important, how is their customer service? Choose a company that will review results with you to ensure they are understood with red flags noted. The company should also respond to deadlines and work with you. They should advise what steps can be taken to remediate any issues that are found.
When you choose the right lab for your test results, you can have confidence that your clients get the most trustworthy results possible. You may need testing for:
- Real estate transactions: Many states require testing of well water before the sale of a home or other property can be completed.
- Municipal water quality: Accuracy of tests for municipal water supplies is vital to ensure that the water meets local, state and federal standards.
- Well inspections: Homeowners or drilling companies may require test results for inspections of existing wells or to sign off on wells that have been newly constructed.
- Industries or businesses: Many businesses rely on the purity of water to ensure the quality of their products and the safety of their equipment.
- Healthcare organizations: These organizations have the responsibility to protect their patients’ health with clean, pure water used in their operations.
The right time to check the quality of water is before a home is sold or a problem such as water contamination or illness shows up!
To find out more about how to fully test the quality of your water, please contact ETR Labs at (800) 344-9977 or visit our water test kit page to purchase a well water testing kit.